[Computerbank] CAI Members: Reminder about the SGM tomorrow night and some words

Hi all, (sorry for cross posting)

Don't forget that we have a SGM tomorrow night at 7pm, where we are
voting on a motion to change the name of Computerbank Australia back to
Computerbank Victoria.

Some words about this... the name change is about getting back to the
beginnings and basics...freeing up the time of branch volunteers to they
can concentrate on operational issues and getting computers out to the
community.

The Computerbank Project - a project developed by myself as a social
work student - developed in Victoria (but became so popular that other
people in other states wanted to do similar) by Victorian volunteers,
was as much about addressing digital divide as it was about “open
source”. Whatever we do, or create, or experience, would be “out there”
for others to take and learn from. The Vic documentation project is the
culmination of this.

Due to the differences across the States (all), a National organisation
has proved to be unsuccessful and unworkable at this stage. All States
are busy with operational issues, and still have much to learn, record,
and, organise before any real 'national body' participation can take
place.

Without the presence of a national organisation of Victorian origins,
States will be free to concentrate on internal development – a matter of
priority at this stage.

Even without the presence of a National body, the Computerbank brand as
a project, will still have national recognition and groups in different
states will benefit from this association. A national voice of 'open
source recyclers', not called Computerbank, may eventually develop to
serve all our interests.

In the meantime, it will be important to work on better communication to
share and exchange experiences and ideas, so that we all grow and learn
from each other. These types of exchanges will still continue to happen
in an informal sense, I don't expect this to change.

I've waited right up until the last day to send this email, and on the
whole, as thought, the SGM notice, while expected by most, didn't raise
many eyebrows.

The interstate membership to CAI is quite poor, with only 2 NSW and 2 SA
members signed up. There has been no participation from QLD, or WA
despite open requests.

Even at our AGM this year, where I nominated for President on the basis
of changing the name back to Computerbank Victoria, there would have
only been 2 other state members nominated for committee positions, still
leaving a Victorian majority at the national level.

It seems the National body, in it's current form, should revert back to
it's origins, back to basics, and back to being called Computerbank
Victoria Inc, hence the motion to change the name.

See you at the meeting,

Kylie

--
Kylie Davies