[plug] Re: Computer Bank - please dont give them away.

It's 07 Jan 99  20:56:39,
We'll return to spblunt@ozemail.com.au and All's
discussion of [plug] Re: Computer Bank - please dont give them away.

 sp> The LDP howto's seem to be aimed at people who already have a fair
 sp> idea of what they are doing.  Ken posted a good article on this sort of

Agreed.  We have a couple of uni students at work who aren't yet
familiar with Linux, and they complain that the LDP docs assume you know
to much (I practically eat them for breakfast myself, since I'm always
tinkering with a Linux box somewhere).

 sp> thing the other day.  Rather than "Using Pine" for example, you want to
 sp> give someone a good understanding of what email is and what you do with
 sp> it rather than just teaching the software.

Yes, we should be teaching people what email is and what it does, before
getting into the nitty gritty of (say) Pine.

 sp> I think it would be a better idea to make some sort of arrangement
 sp> with some community group to put a computer lab together.  I think
 sp> initially it would be better to use the computers for things like that
 sp> rather than giving them to individuals.  That way as many people as
 sp> possible can get use out of them.

I don't see this as an either/or argument.  If we can get an
organisation which has the space on side, great!  We could to with a
training centre, but I personally feel the greatest worth of computers
is where the people in need are, i.e., at home.  Again, I speak from
experience.  I wouldn't be where I am without having had access to BBSs
and the Internet.  I'd probably still be collecting my fortnightlies off
the Government, instead of working full time.

 sp> Like I mentioned the other day, we need to detirmine what apps we will
 sp> be using and what material is out there.  I'll probably sort something
 sp> out over the weekend.

This might be something to attack from a few angles.  Those of us
familiar with the software, and have access to a Linux box could
contribute to manuals.

 sp> Are we still using Pine or a we going to go for a free alternative
 sp> (elm or mutt perhaps)?

Good question.  Pine is better, in the sense that it will cover all
one's mail and news requirements, but others may be more attractive from
a philosophical (or other) POV.

.. I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.