Re: Linux Library - and GNUniversity Project

Hello

I too have been thinking about how to provide further information to new
Linux box users. Although I mostly agree with David, where I disagree is
the idea of preparing bound paper documents.

Let me explain.

One of the hats I wear during my work day is that of technical author. I
prepare paper and online documentation in the areas of electronics,
software, engineering etc. That is, I stay away from accounting packages
and procedures manuals :) Having said that, even a technically skilled
professional appreciates being able to easily find what they want, when
they want, and are confident that they have found the information. This may
sound trivial to some, but most documentation that is unsuccessful is
because these two fundamentals are not met. Accuracy is another criteria
that I have found bothersome wrt Linux documentation. For example, the
examples often do not accurately match what I am trying to accomplish. This
often because the material that I have managed to source cannot allow for
all the different distributions. I am not a new user so I can usually
figure it out. But if a real new user is presented with an example that is
not exactly going the way they expect, then they lose confidence in the
documentation and the product they are trying to use.

Which leads me to maintenance. The documentation is only accurate if it is
maintained.

Experience has also shown that no new user will read 200 pages to figure
out something. Printing out 200 page manuals is a waste of trees and very
quickly gathers dust.

My suggestion is that recipients of new Linux boxes from the Computerbank
and like organsiations are encouraged to join the local Linux User's Group.
If the LUG is a bit too geeky, then form a special interest group that
forms part of the LUG, e.g. application specific (KDE or StarOffice), or
getting used to the Linux environment, or connecting to the Internet.

Actually, it would be really great if all new Linux box users were able to
connect to the Internet. We could make use of email discussion lists such
as this one to assist new users, and also point them in the direction of
other online resources - documentation, user groups, email discussion lists
etc. For example, new Linux box users that use the email discussion lists
at debian.org are assisted by very friendly and helpful people.

I agree that tutorial/noddy type documentation is useful for new users, but
again it has to be maintained with a student and facilitator set of course
material. If it does not already exist, an online library where
facilitators of the material are able to feedback to the library
maintainters would be ideal. Students and facilitators can download the
current course material from the web. For an example of this in the Windows
environment, see:

http://www.bellanet.org/itrain/materials.cfm

The use of the material is covered by the open content license and the
group offers facilitators a forum for discussion and the opportunity to
provide feedback to the library.

I would like to encourage new users to join Linux groups in their local
community and get online so that they can participate and in the future
contribute in the wider online community. It is not helpful to be stuck in
the corner with a new Linux box and a manual.

All the best
Jacqueline

-
ComputerBank Australia -- http://www.computerbank.org.au/