[Computerbank] Updates, News and Events in Victoria

Hello all,

Welcome to the new folk who have been just subscribed to the
computerbank list. All of these folk (and there were 10! which brings
list membership to 173!) are based in Melbourne but are set to make
great contributions that will benefit us all. :)

There's a bit of talent in human resources, monitor repair, electrical
issues, the law, software development, teachers, and networking. Welcome
to all these great new people!

With the new look Computerbank Australia - Victoria is hoping (and has
started) to restructure it's volunteer program, we are getting greater
numbers of volunteers and there needs to be better co-ordination and
room for volunteer skills development.  Have you completed your
Computerbank skills-audit yet?

We are running regular induction days in three streams (for now),
although ideally I would like to see 4. These are Technical (all
technical stuff inc hardware and software), Training (Includes
documentation), and Administration.

 I would love to see a separation of hardware from software (induction
wise). Anyone interested in tackling this one? Any hands?

The last induction days were a great success, they occurred at the start
of March. :) The technical and trainer induction sessions were fully
booked. :)

Okay - Induction is on again, for those that haven't participated in an
induction group - now is your chance. :)

Saturday April 6th - 1-5pm: Technical Induction - KDE - Debian
distribution installation and configure

Wednesday April 3rd - 7pm-9pm: Trainer Induction - KDE, generic computer
skills and lesson plans

Tuesday April 2nd - 1pm-4pm: Administration Induction - all things
admin, talk to people, greet people, work on policy and process, get
familiar with the way we do things.

This one is in the afternoon for a reason; we really need admin
volunteers during the days as it really can get quite busy during the
day. The phones ring, people drop in for support or peripheral
configuration, there's plenty of mail to sort and lots of paperwork to
file. There's also room for innovation here. :)

If anyone is interested in coming along to any of these days please RSVP
to me 1 week before the event. If the sessions are full I will advise.
:) It is quite important that you get in early.

Along the lines of volunteers at the moment cai-vic has a real need for
someone who knows their way around a spreadsheet and doesnt mind doing
some book keeping on a regular basis. If anyone is interested please let
me know.

Some news: Projects Past at Computerbank

Did you know that last year CAI-Vic distributed around 400 systems to
people living in metro Vic (~50%), regional/rural vic (~45%) and
overseas (~5%). There are computers all over Victoria.

Some success stories to note; an older user is new hip with a nephew
because they have linux, they talk more now. A person with literacy
issues is a pretty well accomplished web designer,  some housebound folk
are able to fill their time with positive learning on the Internet, big
monitors and big font/cursor customisations are a good thing with some
of our vision impaired users, plenty of people wanting to come back for
more training, plenty of people with computers that now regularly
volunteer. :) All good news.

In 2001 the Victorian team sent computers to Fiji, Sri Lanka, and East
Timor (twice).

This year we are working on several overseas projects with the Christian
Blind Mission. The current project is for Liberia (12 computers) and
then later in the year we will be shippng computers to the Ivory Coast
(where the world's most impoverished people live!).

All these systems all over the place made me think of a "Web Mapping
Project" where we could get a map of the world and put in the
co-ordinates of people with computerbank computers. Great PR (potential
sponsorship) stuff. Can someone pick up on this - I obviously dont have
the skills or time - If there is interest - please get in contact with
me. :) Please...

Other projects currently in action at Computerbank...

A fundraising project on may fronts; a)  we have got a few people
looking into selling some of our more exotic hardware. b) we are looking
into holding a geek trivia night (smaller style on a regular basis with
a big annual one plus auction). c) We are looking at the idea of an
afterhours / out of core use hours open-access training/net cafe to be
promoted to our service users and to the wider public.

Anyone interested in assisting the folk who are working on these
fundraising projects - should email me or this list. :)

Other non fundraising projects happening at Victoria include the Green
Office Project - like it says - looking at how we can be a more
environmentally friendly office (we are mostly but we can do much better!).

Tied to this project - there is the Recycling Systems Project, currently
our work for the dole team are looking at that - but if you think you
would like to be involved - get in touch - the more the merrier.

On that note, the work for the dole project at Computerbank has just
rolled over into a 3rd project with a great crew of people. :) If you
are interested in doing work for the dole at computerbank get in touch
as there are a few vacancies on our project and they tend to fill
quickly. :) Our project's for last year (1st/2nd one)are being nominated
for the WFD Activity of the Year Award. :) For other states looking at
wftd funding - be sure to mention this. :)

Anyway - I guess I have said quite a lot and covered a lot, if there are
any questions or suggestions arising - post them to the list so all can
see. :)

Cheers,

Kylie
Victorian Co-ordinator