Re: [Computerbank] Re: Our service philosophy and linux

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:11, you imparted:
<snip>, but brilliantly put.....

I would like to see these put into the constitution somewhere!

>     (1) We will use our best endeavours to ensure that any hardware,
>     supplied by us to a recipient, which malfunctions due to a physical
>     component failure is restored to operation.  This will be, at our
>     discretion, by repair or replacement on a "return to base" basis,
>     and will be limited to failures which occur within a period of
>     thirty days from the supply of the computer to the recipient.
>     (2) Any repairs or replacement carried out in accordance with
>     paragraph (1) above will include any required adjustments to the
>     software
>     installed, *provided* such software has been originally supplied by
>     us.
>     (3) In the event that software on the malfunctioning system has not
>     been supplied by us, our best endeavours will be restricted to those
>     specified in paragraph (1) above.

I would like to ask other people's opinions on peripherals - how much support
do we supply for peripherals such as modems, cdrom, and printers bought after
supplying system to recipient? we dont have the resources to supply such
things, so many recips have been buying their own (we know a very reputable
secondhand shop we recommend, so they get these thinsg relatively cheaply,
and new printers are silly prices nowadays anyway).
of course, they havent got the knowledge or confidence to install these
themselves in the overwhelming majority of cases, and while linux has made
leaps and bounds in this field, esp printers (cups is wonderful), its not
exactly 'plug and play' (not that that works so well on ms win, you know).
so, what period do we offer assistance during - the 'warranty' period?
indefinitely? 6 mths?

r:)
romana@timelady.com icq no:393293

Computerbank Australia -  SA branch coordinator
http://www.linunix.com/cbsa/

"Between the idea and the reality,
Between the motion and the act,
Falls the Shadow..."