Re: [Computerbank] Fwd: List usage was: [Cbtechnical] Deskpro LZR 960 Laser Printer

> A large part of the problem is that the list is configured to direct
replies
> to the poster rather than to the list. I know that there's a prejudice
> against doing that, but it's bogus and simply discourages active
> participation in public discussions.

Return address set to the list is what everyone recommends. I've run dozens
of lists and in every single one I and numerous participants eventually
regretted taking that advice and reset the list to return messages to the
senders address. It won't be long before something very private or very
embarrassing ends up on a list that is set with the return address to the
list. It's just the nature of people and I've never seen it fail.

On the other hand, if someone's posting does not make it to the list, it
causes no problems. If someone sees that their message didn't make it to the
list and they intended for it to be on the list, they will resend it. But
once you broadcast a private message, it's too late.

Just for the record, I believe mailing lists should have the return address
set to the list and people should pay attention to what they are doing. I
also believe people should keep their software up to date and use anti virus
software, etc etc etc. Gotta go, there are some pigs flying by my window.

Cheers.