Re: [Computerbank] Documentation processes and documents at Computerbanks / Computer Angels

Hi All,

I am a newcomer, and furthermore missed the documentation meeting, but I would have been interested to have been there.

The list below gives a very brief idea of what exists, but access to the intranet to look at the documents themselves is really required to understand it.

Recently I was working on the inter/intranet at the State Library of Queensland. The policy was to use the 'metadata' field of the header of the HTML to give a description of the documents, last update, who by etc etc.

On many pages this metadata was more than the content of the page (they're librarians, remember). I don't think CB needs to go that far .. but .. it is a good idea. Then a web-crawler can compile weekly/monthly reports of what exists and summarise and email to relevent personnel.

http://au.dublincore.org/
http://au.dublincore.org/resources/faq/

Dublin Core is the metadata standard (?) used there. I would guess there are many others. Dublin Core is reasonably widely deployed.

Basically the metadata field on HTML lets you make up your own descriptive tags, which do not appear on the actual page in the browser, but can be accessed through some browsers, or other tools like the web crawler above, and are visible to anyone who edits the page.

It may be a good idea to adopt an external standard such as Dublin Core rather than develop internal metadata standards, and certainly wouldn't hurt. It is up to CB to decide to what and how much metadata goes on each page.

The good thing is even for web pages where it is not desireable to put a lot of irrelevent text, eg for aesthetic reasons, it provides a place for this stuff to go. Also if you have a policy of using particular metadata then it can be used to get the author to stop for a moment and think about how their document fits into the structure of the web, it's purpose, expected life cycle etc.

Also, a link checker is a good idea. This is another web-crawler which tests cross-linking integrity of documents to each other and to the net.

Simeon