From: Kylie Davies <mailkylie@optushome.com.au>
To: cai-vic@lists.linux.org.au
Subject: [cai-vic] State Coordinators Report for September and October
2004
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:02:27 +0200
Hi all,

Please see my report below. Big thanks to all for wonderful efforts and
achievements over last two months! Way to go.

Cheers,

Kylie

_General News_

Over the past two months I have been busy coordinating aspects
(communications/ some system configuration) of the Solomon Islands
Networks, helping with delivery of workshops at the Rosslyn St School,
as well as attending to WFD Acquittals and WFD End of Year Reports. With
help from Norm and Con, I have been able to finalise the finances for
the 2003/04 Audit; reports should be ready in the next two weeks.

It's great to see volunteers taking more initiative in the areas that
they are coordinating, it means I have less to worry about! Special
kudos to Ed, Jan and Tony for being champions in the areas of web, tech
and admin.  Big thanks to Con for overseeing much of of SI thin client
network deployment (esp re the laptops!).

The warehouse space has been improved by moving our shelving together,
it means we have more space to put boxes and stuff that needs sorting.

For those who still haven't managed to check out our new website - it is
well worth it. Become a member and contribute! Big thanks to Jan for
driving and seeing this to completion...we look really professional now.
:)  Big thanks to Obsidian Web Hosting for providing us with hosting
space.

The workshops at the Marist Transitional School are progressing well,
and are now in their 3rd week. The students have proved to be a very
tricky audience, however, on the whole, are enjoying the experience. All
computers still worked (eventually) when they were put back together
again. Feedback from the school has been very positive. Big Thanks to
Greg for his help in this area.

_Future Happenings_

New project on the horizon is another Thin client pilot, for the City of
Darebin Aged Care Services. More news soon.

_Donations_

Refer to Rob's report. ;)

_Computers Out_

In the past two months, we have started to see increased numbers of
computers going out to the community. The increased numbers are due to
wonderful efforts and improvements in the admin and training area.

We delivered the Solomon Islands network to Geelong, after many weeks of
great work and effort from lots of people. The WFD program on Monday and
Tuesday were heavily involved in the cleaning, testing and configuration
of the systems. The computers are not expected to arrive in the SI until
after November (poss December).

Other groups to receive computers from us were the Goongerah Environment
Centre (thanks to Simeon and Thoran for help here with regards to
mapping and GIS research), Computers for Aged and Disabled Seniors (A
Bill Mac /Eric Yeomens sponsored activity), and Central Hume Support
Services in Wodonga (easier to get computers from Victoria).

*Numbers of Systems Out*

September = 20
October (to date) = 34 + 6 firewalls - A big WTG on this effort! :)

*Applications*

Applications being processed = 20
Received in September = 9 (hard to contact)
Received in October = 6
Other = 8 (hard to contact/ waiting for follow up)

_New Volunteers_

We welcome some new volunteers and some old faces. Welcome back Bob and
Errol, and big warm welcome to Dung and Lex! Lex is the new saviour for
the phones and reception (among many other talents!) on Thursday and
Friday. Dung is helping to set up a Vietnamese Desktop environment on a
clone.

_SNIP of WFD stuff_