Partition

I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with computers, but what
the heck.

At 21:22 6/09/99 -1000, Kate O'Brien wrote:
>Please consider adding your name to the following petition .
. .

>The government of Afghanistan is waging a war upon women.
Since the
>Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua and
have been
>beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire,
even if
>this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of
their eyes.
>One woman was beaten to death by an angry mob of
fundamentalists for
>accidentally exposing her arm while she was driving. Another
was stoned
>to death for trying to leave the country with a man that was
not a
>relative. Women are not allowed to work or even go out in
public
>without a male relative; professional women such as
professors,
>translators, doctors, lawyers, artists and writers have been
forced
>from their jobs and stuffed into their homes, so that
depression is
>becoming so widespread that it has reached emergency levels.
There is
>no way in such an extreme Islamic society to know the suicide
rate with
>certainty, but relief workers are estimating that the suicide
rate
>among women, who cannot find proper medication and treatment
for severe
>depression and would rather take their lives than live in
such
>conditions, has increased significantly. Homes where a woman
is present
>must have their windows painted so that she can never be seen
by
>outsiders. They must wear silent shoes so that they are never
heard.
>Women live in fear of their lives for the slightest
misbehavior.
>Because they cannot work, those without male relatives or
husbands are
>either starving to death or begging on the street, even if
they hold
>Ph.D.s. There are almost no medical facilities available for
women, and
>relief workers, in protest, have mostly left the country,
taking
>medicine and psychologists and other things necessary to
treat the
>sky-rocketing level of depression among women. At one of the
rare
>hospitals for women, a reporter found still, nearly
>lifeless bodies lying motionless on top of beds, wrapped in
their
>burqua,
>unwilling to speak, eat, or do anything, but slowly wasting
away.
>Others have gone mad and were seen crouched in corners,
perpetually
>rocking or crying, most of them in fear. One doctor is
considering,
>when what little medication that is left finally runs out,
leaving
>these women in front of the president's residence as a form
of peaceful
>protest. It is at the point where the term 'human rights
violations'
>has become an understatement. Husbands have the power of life
and death
>over their women relatives, especially their wives, but an
angry mob
>has just as much right to stone or beat a woman, often to
death, for
>exposing an inch of flesh or offending them in the slightest
way. Women
>enjoyed relative freedom, to work, dress generally as they
wanted, and
>drive and appear in public alone until only 1996. The
rapidity of this
>transition is the main reason for the depression and suicide;
women who
>were once educators or doctors or simply used to basic human
freedoms
>are now severely restricted and treated as sub-human in the
name of
>right-wing fundamentalist Islam. It is not their tradition or
>'culture', but is alien to them, and it is extreme even for
those
>cultures where fundamentalism is the rule. Everyone has a
right to a
>tolerable human existence, even if they are women in a Muslim
country.
>If we can threaten military force in Kosovo in the name of
human rights
>for the sake of ethnic Albanians, citizens of the world can
certainly
>express peaceful outrage at the oppression, murder and
injustice
>committed against women by the Taliban.
>
>STATEMENT: In signing this, we agree that the current
treatment of
>women
>in Afghanistan is completely UNACCEPTABLE and deserves
support and
>action
>by the United Nations and that the current situation overseas
will not
>be
>tolerated. Women's Rights is not a small issue anywhere and
it is
>UNACCEPTABLE for women in 1999 to be treated as sub-human and
so much
>as property. Equality and human decency is a RIGHT not a
freedom,
> [...]
>
>78) Douglas Bratt
>
>79) Mats Lofstrom, Stockholm, Sweden
>
>80) Li Lindstrom, Sweden
>
>81) Ursula Mueller, Sweden
>
>82) Marianne Komstadius, Stockholm, Sweden
>
>83) Peter Thyselius, Stockholm, Sweden
>
>84) Gonzalo Oviedo, Quito, Ecuador
>
>85) Amalia Romeo, Gland, Switzerland
>
>86) Margarita Restrepo, Gland, Switzerland
>
>87) Eliane Ruster, Crans p.C., Switzerland
>
>88) Jennifer Bischoff-Elder, Hong Kong
>
>89)Azita Lashgari, Beirut, Lebanon
>
>90)Khashayar Ostovany, New York, USA
>
>91)Lisa L Miller, Reno NV
>
>92)Danielle Avazian, Los Angeles, CA
>
>93) Sara Risher, Los Angeles, Ca.
>
>94) Melanie London, New York, NY
>
>95) Susan Brownstein , Los Angeles, CA
>
>96) Steven Raspa, San Francisco, CA
>
>97) Margot Duane, Ross, CA
>
>98) Natasha Darnall, Los Angeles, CA
>
>99) Candace Brower, Evanston, IL
>
>100) James Kjelland, Evanston, IL
>
>101) Michael Jampole, Beach Park, IL, USA
>
>102) Diane Willis, Wilmette, IL, USA
>
>103) Sharri Russell, Roanoke, VA, USA
>
>104) Faye Cooley, Roanoke, VA, USA
>
>è105) Celeste Thompson, Round Rock, TX, USA
>
>106) Sherry Stang, Pflugerville, TX, USA
>
>107) Amy J. Singer, Pflugerville, TX USA
>
>108) Milissa Bowen, Austin, TX USA
>
>109) Michelle Jozwiak, Brenham, TX USA
>
>110) Mary Orsted, College Station, TX USA
>
>111) Janet Gardner, Dallas, TX USA
>
>112) Marilyn Hollingsworth, Dallas, TX USA
>
>113) Nancy Shamblin, Garland. TX USA
>
>114) K. M. Mullen, Houston, TX - USA
>
>115) Noreen Tolman, Houston, Texas - USA
>
>116) Laurie Sobolewski, Warren, MI
>
>117) Kellie Sisson Snider, Irving Texas
>
>118) Carol Currie, Garland, Garland Texas
>
>119) John Snyder, Garland, TX USA
>
>120) Elaine Hannan, South Africa
>
>121) Jayne Howes, South Africa
>
>122) Diane Barnes, Akron, Ohio
>
>123)Melanie Dass Moodley, Durban, South Africa
>
>124) Amy King Dejardin, Ornex, France
>
>125)Eve Hall, Matumi, Schagen, South Africa
>
>126) Catherine & Khanya Jele, Johannesburg South Africa
>
>127)Sylvie & Alain Grunfeld, La Roche - Yon, France
>
>128)Lydie et Pascal Iscache, Paris, France
>
>129)Richard Lins Kkell, London, UK
>
>130)Agnes Poitevin-Navarre, London, UK
>
>131)Zineb Sedira, london, UK
>
>132)Poulomi Desai, London, UK
>
>133) Julian Samuel, Montreal, Canada
>
>134) Himmat Shinhat, Montreal, Canada
>
>135) Christian B*dard, Montr*al, Canada
>
>136) *lise Roy, Montr*al, Canada
>
>137) Pierre Robillard, Montr*al, Canada
>
>138) Judith Shiao, Sydney, AUSTRALIA
>
>139) Meredith Caelli, Newcastle, AUSTRALIA
>
>140) Janet Wallace, Wollongong, Australia
>
>141) Caroline Williams, Wollongong, Australias
>
>142) Alison Standen, Hobart, Australia
>
>143) Sarah Birch, Hobart, Australia
>
>144) Natasha Beveridge, hobart, Australia
>
>145) Nick Shaw. Launceston, Tasmania
>
>146) Rosemary Tremayne, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
>
>147) Janelle Jackson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
>
>148) Peter Voss, Exeter, Tasmania, Australia
>
>149) Louise Phillips, Launceston, AUSTRALIA
>
>150)Alison Merridew, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

152) David Calleja, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

153)Colin McDermott, Sydney, AUSTRALIA
>PLEASE COPY this email on to a new message, sign the bottom
and forward
>it
>
>to everyone on your distribution lists. If you receive this
list with
>more
>
>than 200 names on it, please e-mail a copy of it to
>:sarabande@brandeis.edu
>
>(Send after every 100 names.) Even if you decide not to sign,
please be

>considerate and do not kill the petition.
>
>Thank you.
>
>It is best to copy rather than forward the petition.
>

>Pierre Robillard MD
>Montreal Public Health Department
>1301 Sherbrooke street east
>Montreal, QC