saved games of 0.4.3 and 0.4.5 incompatible?

Hi,
I just discovered that the saved games from version 0.4.3 (debian sarge) and
from version 0.4.5 (CVS) are not compatible. Was that a planed action or an
mistake?

This problem would make it difficult to play via email, because each player
needs the same version of crimson and keep it as long as the game lasts.

I would suggest to define an general and compatible extendable file format
for saved games and try to keep it compatible between different versions.

  Best Regards
    Matthias