Re: A patch

A couple of thoughts.  Uncertainty is part of war.  I agree that you should not have the exact XP.  Regarding knowing the abilities of enemy units, I am inclined to agree that for any unit you are familiar with you should know the range of the unit, both movement and firing.
Regarding showing how far a unit may shoot, could we "shade" the area that the unit can attack in red instead of grey when the unit is selected, and has moved?

--
Tanks for your Support
Pat O'Hara

On 5/3/07, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 01 May 2007 20:16, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 01.05.2007 14:32, haruspex wrote:
> > These changes are:
> > * User-friendliness:
> > - the exact amount of XP of a unit is shown next to its HP at the bar
> > in the bottom-left corner;
>
> The gory details are hidden on purpose. If that wasn't intended we
> could just have XP from 0 to 15 or something. I never missed the
> exact numbers and don't think they are important to know. Just some
> meaningless numbers.

I agree with this. To me, not knowing exact amount of XP adds to the game.

> > - you can see how far an enemy unit can move during its turn by
> > clicking on it, in the same fashion as with your own units (reasoning:
> > knowing how much movement points a particular type of unit has you can
> > predict where it will be able to move - so this feature just saves
> > your time);
> > - removed the window "Access Denied" when trying to find out the stats
> > of an enemy unit (reasoning: if you want to know the stats of a unit
> > everything you need is to find your own unit of that type - maybe in
> > another level. So disabling "unit info" on enemy units just creates
> > troubles for the user without really changing anything).
>
> These two were done on purpose as well, but maybe the reasoning wasn't
> quite as sound. The original idea was that during campaigns you would
> occasionally encounter new units that you know nothing about. Being
> able to just look up the stats somewhat works against that. On the
> other hand, unknown and mysterious enemy units haven't been a strong
> focus as of yet, so maybe changing this would be ok. Not sure.

A compromise could be that you are only allowed to see enemy unit stats if you
have units of that type. This would allow for quick overview of stats, but
would still retain the element of surprise.

I am unsure about seeing where could enemy units move. First, if stats for
unknown units are disallowed, it should be disallowed equally. Second, not
knowing exactly what is going to happen adds to the game in the same way that
not knowing exact XP does.

One similar thing I was thinking about is being able to see how far enemy
units (and why not, your own units) can shoot.