Re: [f-cpu] RC5, F-CPU and srotl

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:59:30PM +0200, Christophe wrote:
> I knew FORTH as being in fact a mix of compiled and interpretable code :
>
> Usually, a FORTH code is a sequence of call addresses (there is no opcode but
> just address), so it is more compact than a native code. Everytime you create a
> FORTH function (I'm not sure about the exact term to use), there are two
> possibilities : a native code (ASM) or a FORTH code. [...]

The `1 address per word' approach doesn't really work any longer since
Forth has been ported to 32-bit machines (64 bit will be even worse,
because you waste 8 bytes for every word -- the name of the word is
shorter in most cases). Modern implementations use native code or
virtual machine code -- or both. For native code, you need a pretty good
compiler that does inline substitution, loop unrolling and the like.