Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] new langage ?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:24:55AM +0000, Nicolas Boulay wrote:
> New language of a higher level is really needed to really have a code
> portability without the problem of performance.
>
> BUT it's really hard to devellop a all new language ( or look at "D" ).
>
> I personnaly like the way systemC work. It's only a "big" librairy for
> C++. We just have to design a librairy that work well with SIMD.
>
> In c++, one librairy do such thing : STL. If we port STL (in asm) for
> the fpu we could accelerate all soon written programme and future one.
>
> I think it's the better cost/benefit ratio.

I really don't want to be tied to a single programming language. No
matter what it's called or who invented it.

In order to support arbitrary languages, we need a native code generator
that transforms an intermediate code representation into F-CPU machine
code, and maybe also performs machine-dependent optimizations. I suggest
we concentrate on this piece and worry about the language-specific
front-end (which generates the intermediate code) later.

That is, we have two things to do:

	- define an appropriate (universally usable) intermediate code
	- write code that maps it to F-CPU instructions