Re: [f-cpu] Some question about the update

cedric a écrit :

> Le Samedi 20 Avril 2002 10:48, Yann Guidon a écrit :
> > "questions pour un champignon" wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >    I have started to update the manual with the two post that Michael
> > > give to me, but for certain case it's not really clear.
>
> > tell me if something EVER remains clear, ok ? :-P
>
> > > First the FPU. Is it SIMD or not ?
>
> > at least it should leave this possibility.
> > The chip can implement it the way it wants (or not), but it is desirable.
>
> If I understand, the SIMD capability of the FPU is optional like the FPU
> himself. That mean that we have more than 3 level of implemented FPU ?

I beleive that we have to limit the number of version. I propose :
- one light version without one cycle mul integer (a "small" die size
version)
- one "normal"
- the last with fpu

Maybe light and normal could have the same ISA. It should be a balance
between die size and computing power. Maybe unit could be choose to be
smaller for the first one.

nicO