Re: [f-cpu] Winograd DCT on my seul.org account

Hi, nice to be back!

goeritz@oekomm.de wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Marco Al wrote:
> >Juergen Goeritz wrote:

[snip]
> >How about Occam? ;)
>
> I know occam from the time I looked at transputers. The
> language didn't really turn me on. Everything felt too
> complicated. Maybe that was one thing why the transputer
> never made its way to a real hit (beside being much too
> expensive).
[more snipage]

Transputer expensive? dead? Not quite! (from the archives)

From: richard@rjingram.freeserve.co.uk (Richard Ingram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.transputer
Subject: Re: Questio: State of Transputer Business
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:23:46 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:19:09 +0000, Alec Cawley
<alec@cawley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <19990117221716.07791.00002292@ng115.aol.com>, MSmith
><msmith@aol.com> writes
>>Can anyone tell me if transputers are still being manufactured, and who
>>supports them still?
>
>No more orders are being taken for transputers, and orders in the
>pipeline will be fulfilled by end '99. Sadly, the transputer is dead.

Well not quite true, it has matured into an embedded processor only
available to large OEM customers making STB's. Check out most digi
STB's and they will have a derivative of the transputer in, ie the
ST20 core from STM. Download the data sheets, compare to the T8/4
datasheets and it is a transputer :-)

>However, see earlier posts in this news group for transputer-like follow
>on hardware and other occam platforms.
>
>--
>Alec Cawley

Richard.

So if you have a digital set top box, DVD player, etc. YOU HAVE (very good chance of) A TRANSPUTER INSIDE!!!

**These are my own views on not those of any of my employers past or present, not that I am stupid enough to shaft my current employer either**

Regards,
GP