Re: [f-cpu] Register Bank

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Yann Guidon wrote:
> > > I would, if I could.  I have no synthesis tools on my Linux PC (and it
> > > wouldn't be sufficient anyway with its poor 96 MB of RAM).  When Nico
> > > tried to synthesize the multiplier on his Suns, he also ran into memory
> > > limitations (1 GB is not enough for such a big unit if one turns on some
> > > optimization bells & whistles during the run).  So, if you can provide
> > > access to a multi-gigabyte multi-gigahertz multi-CPU system and a set
> > > of synthesis tools for it, I will happily synthesize every piece of code
> > > before I send it to the rest of the world.
> >
> > Hmh, currently I am designing an extendable Linux cluster for
> > a university that may handle a lot of cpus, each with 1GB memory.
> > I am doing this for incompressible flow problems (YG could tell
> > you more about this topic). The problem is more on the tool
> > side - without a real order for VHDL/ASIC development (and some
> > real cash flow involved) I can't just buy the tools for fun.
> > That's a bit to heavy for a small startup company.
>
> Time to get sponsoring to work.

How do you want to get it to work? :-)

> If your cluster is available for public EDA design,
>  - we need the written authorisation of the university
>  -         some accounts and reasonable quota (CPU time/HDD/SWAP)
>  -         permanent/stable SSH connexion
> and we need to find EDA vendors that accept that their SW runs
> online. THAT is the hardest part !!!

That's not a real problem for some companies. Tensilica
is doing their Xtensa core via Internet. An Israelian
company is providing PCB crosstalk checking via Internet.
Just to name a few.

The problem I see here is that the EDA vendors want to
earn money by selling their tools. Usually regarding the
license agreements you are not allowed to give public access.
But it could also be interesting to setup an Internet
'synthesis portal' to give registered users access to a
cluster machine running synthesis, e.g. in a batch mode?
A little monthly fee... :-)

On the other hand, if you provide access to such a tool
via Internet there also pops up the problem of export
restrictions for high-tech tools and products that have
to be obeyed. That's a problem for the lawyers in the
country you want to set it up then... :-(

What's your opinion?

> Within a few months, i'll have lotsa tools at the university,
> so the problem will be solved for me, but not for F-CPU_land.

You are lucky! :-)

JG