Re: [f-cpu] More Instruction Set Trouble

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 09:04:56PM -0600, Ben Franchuk wrote:
> Michael Riepe wrote:

> > > I thought Objects and dynamic linking are Evil.
> > > I like global Variables. I sooner would see more globals in use than putting
> > > everything local.
> > > foo{ char bar[2000]...}
> >
> > Ben, you're a dinosaur ;)  Get REAL !!!
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Violating my copyright, eh?
I certainly didn't write *THAT*.

> Late Neanderthal!.

Oh, you're from Duesseldorf? ;)

> Having used computers with a whopping 16kw in the 1980's I still think in terms
> of small systems. It is just things seem to grow and grow. Take a web browser -
> mozilla - while I expect large data space for buffers and displays, why does
> seem the program it self is larger than the linux kernel and X-windows and
> longer to write?

I remember wordstar on a 16k CP/M machine, too.

[...]
> > I'd rather sort by alignment, not size.
> Most simple items would align to the common 'word' size. The problem is things
> like
> structure  BIG stuff[Big_number];
> structure * BIG Next ;
>  while (Next!= NULL) { Next=stuff.link; ... }
>  Next needs full 32 bit offset unsorted and a small offset if sorted. The
> problem is the compilers don't really tellme what is being generated or what are
> inefficient coding practices. Sometimes one needs to be able to see under the
> hood.

Good point -- if this weren't "late 60's FORTRAN coding style".
Modern programmers don't allocate huge arrays (with static bounds)
at compile time, they use pointers and run-time memory allocation.