[f-cpu] Register use

Some times ago, someone have pointed out that we can't use all register
as pointer or data, but only 8 of us. But I've searched all the manual,
I can't find anything about that (except a section that say that f-cpu
have general register so no reg dedicated for pointer)
Could someone explain what is exactly this limitation and the reason of
this chioce ?
--
Thomas Lavergne                       "Le vrai rêveur est celui qui rêve
                                        de l'impossible."  (Elsa Triolet)