De: Michael Riepe <michael@stud.uni-hannover.de>
A: f-cpu@seul.org
Date: 17/12/02
Objet: Re: [f-cpu] signed cmpl

One more remark...

> Of course there will be both signed and unsigned integer compare
> instructions (and also min/max/sort). Projected names for the signed
> counterparts are cmpls, cmples, mins, maxs and minmaxs (aka sorts).

Today I noticed that the current instruction set is slightly
insufficient:
we cannot perform the `register > constant' or `register >= constant'
operations with a single instruction. On the other hand, `cmpli'
and `cmplei' are widely equivalent, except for `cmpli $0, r2, r1' and
`cmplei $255, r2, r1' which have no corresponding instruction.
Therefore,
we should implement a different pair of compare instructions. I guess
the best alternative is `cmpg' and `cmple'. We may also provide all of
them (cmp[lg] and cmp[lg]e) with little additional hardware (and without
latency increasing) - an extra row of MUXes in an uncritical place will
do the trick.

In either case, all four `reg x reg -> reg' instructions will be
available
as assembler aliases, whether or not they're implemented in hardware.
The
`reg x imm -> reg' instructions can also be mapped to each other if we
don't provide the full set, but the argument ranges will be slightly
different (like 1...256, or -127...128 for signed operations). But
whatever we do, we should provide immediate compare instructions with
both a `less' and a `greater' (-or-equal) condition.

Comments?
GRAND JEU SMS : Pour gagner un NOKIA 7650, envoyez le mot IF au 61321
(prix d'un SMS + 0.35 euro). Un SMS vous dira si vous avez gagné.
Règlement : http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/sign.sms