Re: [f-cpu] register set

Yann Guidon wrote:

> hello,
>
> the register set is almost finished. I still have to make
> an exhaustive testbench and add the zero detector.
> I have based the design on transparent latches,
> they ensure that the cells are not too large and slow.

Ouille ! Please don't do that ! latches are almost not-testable. For FF,
you have scan-test.

> It's almost completely asynchronous :

Ouille 2 : to be avoided as much as possible.

> reading is just
> combinational (the address is driven by the fetcher's
> output register) while writing is driven by the scheduler
> queue's output. the write command of each cell is given
> by the address decoder ANDed with the write mask,
> so writing is allowed when the mask is enabled and the
> data remain when the mask goes low. There are certainly
> some setup&hold conditions to ensure but it looks interesting.
>
> Now i'm seeking real implementations and VHDL "wrappers"
> of such a bank. I have looked a bit at the latest LEON sources
> but they look too messy for me...

Generally, optimized register-bank is provided by the technology vendor.
I work currently with UMC and I have a RAM/register-bank compiler. This
one generate behavioral description for the simulation and a 'blackbox'
for the final layout.
If you want to see how to implement such a structure efficiently, check
e.g WESTE, ESHRAGHAN, Principles of CMOS VLSI design, Addison Wesley.
This is also a good book to learn design.

Also, for what you want to do, a SRAM instance should be more efficient,
notably regarding power consumption

Bruno