[f-cpu] [OT] Re: test (was: No latches, please !)

Ok, this is offtopic, but...

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 11:50:09AM +0100, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Ben Franchuk wrote:
>
> > Juergen Goeritz wrote:
> >
> > > Other example: imagine a 500 processor cluster in an orbit
> > > around Jupiter at high rad doses (I love these examples :)
> > > 1/2 of your cluster sleeps to recover from radiation, the
> > > other half is operating. Before sleep you test, after sleep
> > > you test and during operation you test at regular intervals.
> >
> > Nah... I would have the 500 cluster in orbit around the sun
> > running a anti-matter production plant using solar energy. Anti-matter
> > takes a hell a lot of energy to produce but could make inter-planetary
> > travel possible.
>
> Why do you think it may be possible to produce anti-matter?

Hm?  Antimatter is coming down as cosmic radiation, the sun produces
antineutrinos in every single nuclear fusion and scientists produce them
in particle accelerators for many decades now.

The only problem is that takes a lot of energy to create, but it's a
very high density energy storage and very useful if you can't stop for a
refuel somewhere (starships...).

> Hasn't there been detected an asymmetry in favour of matter
> lately?

I'm not sure about what was detected exactly, but an asymmetry was long
suspected and is about the most probable event to explain why there is
matter in the universe at all.  The asymmetry is something like
1:1000000 (or I may remember wrong) so that in every millionth case
matter is produced instead of matter/antimatter.

So in the early universe radiation turned into matter/antimatter with a
slight advantage for matter.  99.9999% os the mass turned back into
radiation when colliding with their anti-parts, the rest is what fills
the universe today.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44