Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] Stack handling

Nicolas Boulay wrote:
>>From the beginning we choose that they will be no hardware stack in
> F-cpu. Stacks are always a bottleneck. So this should be left on the SW
> side.
>
> If you want to avoid the need to save and restore data for call
> convention, we should use windowed register (that could be a great thing
> to decrease memory pressure, because most of the time there is no memory
> access). But the interrupt handler must be really optimised.

I say make interupts slow and force people to use well designed buffered
hardware.Task switching needs to be fast for threads than handle i/o.

> For interrupt management, it must have somethings as a lifo to be
> reentrant (nested interrupt). The linked list previously proposed is
> hard for the hardware and hard to be extended.

One advantage of fixed Interupt and I/O locations (i/o page?) is that
they don't cause a page fault as they are static locations for the MMU.
Video/Sound/network buffers really need to be re-designed for MMU and task
swaping.

--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *
www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html