Re: [f-cpu] use of 1r1w regfile for our 3r2w regfile

Hi,

	I have been reading posts on this list for long but have never
posted any message myself. In my opinion going for simpler (less R+W
ports) RF's will be advantageous from two viewpoints:

1. If we stick to at most 2R+2W ports then the CPU could easily work with
FPGA technology a big+ while prototyping.

2. The larger the RF the slower it will be. Everyone is breaking up the RF
into smaller chunks (clusters of FUs). As per one heuristic estimate the
power, delay and max freq grow as atleast N^1.5 where N is the no. of FUs
per RF.

6. The compiler complexity will not grow too much if each of the
individual clusters is connected to the other in a homogeneous fashion.
Though a variety of interconnect strategies are possible.

Regards,

Anup