Rep:Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] virtually or physically-addressed cache ?

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Michael Riepe <michael@stud.uni-hannover.de>
A: f-cpu@seul.org
Date: 03/03/02
Objet: Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] virtually or physically-addressed cache ?

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 02:07:32AM +0100, Yann Guidon wrote:
> hi,
>
> Nicolas Boulay wrote:
> > > - synonym problem (several different virtual addresses cannot span
the same
> > > physical addresses without being dupplicated in cache).
> > Abgelehnt. This one causes severe problems.
> i do not agree with "only".

Neither do I (unless we're talking about the I-cache only).

>>> I understand that write-back cache policy could cause problem
without a flush.

> > > (2) physically-addressed caches (physical tags)
> > > - do virtual-to-physical address translation on every access
> > Not necessarily. The TLB lookup can be started as soon as loadaddr
(or
> > one of its variants) is called, and doesn't have to be repeated in
all
> > cases (e.g. with a postincremented pointer, you'll perform a range
check
> > first and only do a full lookup if the range check fails).

> that's one perspective.

I'm not sure if I fully understand what exactly the LSU is supposed to
do.
In my mental picture, its job was to keep the data cache filled, not
cache things itself.

>>> I see it as a simple bubble buffer that act as caches (link to the
register number for I-caches and to the memory tags for the D-caches))
nicO