Re: [f-cpu] about the server(s)

Hi,

> * Lionel told me that there would be a new SUN BLADE with more
> power and RAM, in the future, somewhere around 15000 or 20000FF
> (something like $3000). It is probably enough horsepower and we
> can probably gather all the money. The REAL problem is :
> holly shit, there is no Free Hardware Fundation to help us.
> i don't want to spend the rest of my life managing this stuff.
> Volunteers and help are welcome, as usually.

Yes, and in the worst case we ca go for the one
of the newest Ultra5 box : 400Mhz 2MB L2 cache UIIi
priced at $2.500 : price should drop soon.

> * Remember, i had bought a laptop when i was at META SYSTEMS.
> is is badly configured (PCMCIA is buggy), there are other
> problems, but it's a PIII Celeron with 160MB of RAM.
> Although the HDD can't draw more than 10 or 11 MB/s
> in bursts (swapping processes will be rather slow),
> i can dedicate it to the project. I simply require
> a dedicated PCMCIA card. The good news is that it has
> an integrated UPS that can work during 2 hours and
> it doesn't take much room or generate noise or heat :-)
Laptops aren't engineered to run 24H a day : you
are going to kill it.

> Maybe i can install it at Paul Mota's home, if i could
> configure everything cleanly (Please help me, Lionel,
> you promised me ;-P)

A friend of mine has got PCMCIA support with a 2.4 kernel.

> * What would be cool : someone finds a PC that could be
> used as a firewall for the server.
I have brought three of my computers at rhinotec
computers they are second hand machine ( 2 Dell Optiplex @ 133Mhz 32MB + 1 IBM DX4-100 16MB )
they work fine as firewall and DNS + Mail server.
With these kind of shop everything work fine as
long as you don't trust them: don't let them go in
the backoffice with your computer and check the hardware twice ( @shop @home ), plus torture test them
for three days with shutdown + reboots.

 In the case of the
> laptop, the connexion could be throup PLIP because
> i have only 1 PCMCIA slot and this slot could
> be used for something else, i think about an external
> large SCSI or IDE drive because the internal IDE drive
> is rather small (5GB) and is preferably used for swapping.

You have one PCMCIA slot but you can insert two cards
one Adaptac SCSI controller + an ethernet adapter :
no need to use PLIP.

I guess you should have a hub too in order to do the
backups on another machine ( tar + ssh ).
You'll need to forward ssh + ftp connections

A+
Lionel

Lionel, trollhunter Bouchpan-Lerust-Juery
trollhunter@linuxfr.org
boucli27@altavista.net
http://infonomade.linuxfr.org/wearables/doc/Wearable-HOWTO/en/Wearable-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SPARC-HOWTO.html