Re: [f-cpu] SUN server : hacking in progress

> > that's either that, or we try our hardest to make an old
> > server work again...

I know someone who has a small business and who
sells used Sun Hardware, I bought ywing ( SS20
4 HyperSPARCs @ 125Mhz ) from him. He is OK and
as it is a legal business things are fine.

You can access his webpage there :
http://www.solutions-rl.fr/cadre.htm

If you want, as I have already done business with him
I can contact him after my Xams ~ June the 11th.

> I do see 2 months as a little period of time to work out HAL, is there
> anything
> that i can start to work with, right now? (or we.. the ones that are willing
> to help the pre-hal).

Yes, this is going to be an important milestone in
the life of the F-CPU project.

> > > I'd suggest leaving Solaris since it works,
> Avoid as a plague at old machines ;>
> Even a Sparc 10 with 196 MB RAM runs kinda slowly with Solaris 2.6
> > "leave" it ? there is no HDD inside the CPU box,
> > and the 2 HDD ("storage") boxes work with difficulty,
> > the university tried to install BSD so i presume that
> > any previous OS is flushed.
> they knew about the plague :p

Yes, they are actually slow but when we will switch
to a faster machine we will alraeady have the working
knowledge of Sun's computer and OS. If we start with
an x86 based solution when this solution wouldn't
do the jobwe will have to learn to work with a
different hardware / OS combination and as you know
things rarely go by the book thus we may loose a lot
of time at that time.

> > > install them like RPM.
> pkg_add -device filename ;)
> > > Jeff Davies
Yes, and it's easier with Solaris 8: you go to
sunfreeware, then you just type java package and it
works.

> > It seems the CPUs are HyperSPARC CPUs ( sun4m )
> >
> They could be SuperSPARC or HyperSPARC (MP670 had both)

As this is a Ross module it is HyperSPARC.

Lionel, trollhunter Bouchpan-Lerust-Juery
trollhunter@linuxfr.org
boucli27@altavista.net
http://infonomade.linuxfr.org/wearables/doc/Wearable-HOWTO/en/Wearable-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SPARC-HOWTO.html