Re: Re: [f-cpu] the ghdl bomb

heck ! the old simulation/emulation trouble
pops up again .....

>De: nico
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Usually, "software people" don't like VHDL because "it is slow"
>> and a C version of the source code has been started. This
>> increases the size of the project because two versions of the
>> sources must be written, maintained and checked against each others. The availability of a native GCC support reduces the
>> need of a C version of the code and reduces the coding, testing
>> and regression check efforts. This also provides a high
>> speed simulation engine that doesn't require contributors
>
>high speed !!!!! It's a joke ?

"Everything is relative" (Einstein)
and it's certainly going to be faster than
vanilla or Simili. And you forgot the main
point : it's free.

>you will have a simulation time around 1:100000
> and you want to debug program !
At least if the program fails, we can know where the
RTL model fails. And before giving numbers, one
has to measure it....

>That's not an emulator ! We could juste test few 10 ms (15 min) of test not much !
>
>Check leon, it vhdl exist but an emulator existe too !

The problem with an "emulator" is that it completely
skips all the RTL level and dirty hacks are necessary
to make it behave the same way. Sure it's "fast" (depending
on the complexity of the model and architecture) but a lot
of efforts must be spent to keep the simulator and the
emulator in synch. And this puts pressure on the development.

Now, tell me who has ever written a F-CPU program that
has a longer simulation time than a few seconds.
The longer program i know is the RC5 client from Cédric.

Finally, if you don't want to use GHDL, you're not forced.

>> YG
YG