Re: Re: [f-cpu] Re: Project short description

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:28:27AM +0200, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Michael Riepe wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:37:01AM +0200, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
> > > But you also want to keep control. Ain't that a contradiction?
> >
> > No.  We're the `benevolent dictators' who keep control to prevent
> > (probably malevolent) others from gaining control.  You wouldn't want
> > Microsoft to buy Linux, would you?
>
> Why would they want to buy 'good code'? By the way, why
> would you want to sell a free source anyway? All you
> could sell is the company. But that doesn't mean your
> free code will be less free afterwards.

Code that is free remains free, that's right.  But the problem with
LGPL (as opposed to GPL) is that companies can add proprietary parts
and redistribute the result without having to release the source of the
*complete* program/system.  The LGPLed part is still free, but the work
as a whole is neither free nor open.

Free Software (the *real*, GPLed one) comes at a price: if you use it,
you can no longer hide behind patents, trade secrets, NDAs, lawyers and
so on.  We don't play "Null ouvert" -- you have to show your cards, too.

If you don't like that -- don't use Free Software.