[f-cpu] Re: [Fwd: request for interview about F-CPU]

hi !

I forward this to the english mailing list so they
know what is going on.

Hynek Hanke wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Yann Guidon wrote:
>
> Hi Yann, hi Riepe
>
> it seems my previous reply got lost somewhere :(

probably. But things seem to be ok anyway.

> > please inform me if there's something silly :-)
>
> No, it's absolutely perfect. Thank you very much!
> I've included both your answers and Michael's.

cool !

> > Important note : please mention that the active site
> > for F-CPU is at http://f-cpu.seul.org (http://www.f-cpu.org
> > is not updated). seul.org also hosts the english mailing list.
>
> Of course I did :)
>
> > Please keep in touch and inform us about your article.
>
> There is a mini-series of 3 articles now on
> http://www.zive.cz/H/Uzivatel/Ar.asp?ARI=107037&CAI=2104 .
> The interview has completely filled the second one:
> http://www.zive.cz/H/Uzivatel/Ar.asp?ARI=107123&CAI=2104
> (but it's all only in Czech :(

i have remarked this ;-)
i believe it was a heavy translation work.

> The first is a general introduction into the topic.
> It discusses how hardware can be 'libre' and that for
> these "liberties" to be really liberties, you need
> to have the design. A definition of libre hardware
> designs follows. Then there is a discussion about
> the objections of Richard Stallman why it's not
> sure that they are really relevant, quoting some
> developers who can actually ,,copy'' hardware in
> their homes. The following paragraph talks about
> some history, about the idea of freedom of information,
> and also mentions the Midnight Computer Wiring Society
> in order to show that hardware used to be free (at least
> at some period of time). The first article ends with
> a discussion about education purposes and ,,giving
> society information that is normally being accumulated behind
> the walls of proprietary companies''.
>
> I'll skip the second because you know it (you have written
> it) and except for the translation, there is nearly no editing.
> I only had to change ,,free/libre hardware'' to ,,free/libre
> hardware design(s)'' because in Czech, this makes much more
> sense (I think the difference is bigger than in English)
> and because of my readers (I know they would misunderstand
> ,,free hardware''). I just wanted to introduce some real
> project before I would continue with general explanation.
> You both have done an excellent job in it and I think F-CPU
> is one of the greatest representatives of current libre
> hardware projects.
>
> In the third article I'm returning back into history right
> at the beginning and I'm writing about Homebrew Computer
> Club quoting Bob Lash. Then I move forward to 1998 to
> the foundation of Open Design Circuits, to the description
> of the six stages they describe and the problems they
> have foreseen and that really appeared. I continued with
> a description of how these problems are solved now
> with examples of other free hardware. I quote John Khatib's
> article on IBM Developer Network mentioning OR1K. I describe
> GNUBook as another approach to free hw designs and mention
> Simputer. I'm closing the mini-series with a note that
> it's everything just at the beginning now and there are
> still hard problems to solve before we can really use hardware
> with free designs. I quote Yan's words about the ,,utopic dream''
> and the dedication at OpenCollector: ,,to old aging hippies.'' :)
>
> The reactions were mostly positive and I was surprised
> to learn in the discussion with readers that there is
> one Czech open-source hardware project (for a WiFi transmitter
> or something like this). If you are interested, have a look
> at www.czfree.net .

i think it's "Ronja", they belong to our webring ;-)
it's not a CPU but definitely belongs to the "libre" domain.

> I hope I've (and you have) covered this area of the ,,Free/Libre''
> movement quite well and that my readers are now a little bit more
> familiar with this wonderful effort.

most importantly, you seemed to cover most or all the subject
in a reasonable space :-)

> I'll certainly
> try to bring some news from this area once I've introduced
> it so don't hesitate to write me if there is some important
> progress in F-CPU or something.

no problem.

> Thank you both very much, I was surprised by the depth
> of your answers! Thank you for F-CPU!
thank you for the efforts,

> Hynek
WHYGEE