Re: [f-cpu] Offtopic...

Hi.

Martin Vahi wrote:

  Alright, no offence, but as AMD got their 64-bit processor
out already some time ago, then if the F-CPU is not automatically
"wide-able", there's a risk that by the time the F-CPU project
get's into production stage, the F-CPU will be a
internally PERFECT, ahead of the STATE-OF-THE-ART,
MICROCONTROLLER. :D  Isn't it so that people also have
their lives to live and it would be nice to get some things,
at least to some degree, over with? There are the GPL'd
LEON3, a production version, available and in use, but the
F-CPU does not seem to have intermediate releases. Or pick
the Linux kernel: I'm not a kernel developer, but I've heared that
it's done incrementally.

We *have* intermediate releases, for the existing parts. Currently, there are none, because nothing has changed.

Besides that, it's still the developers' choice what they release and when. Personally, I refuse to release something that's not in at least a semi-working state.

No, I don't want to be snobbish and Yes, I haven't contributed even
a single line of code to the F-CPU and I also think that it is a
bad tone to discurage happy, active, people from doing something
that they like, that they do well and want to do well, but....
if it goes so slow, then it's kind of "off schedule" from
technologies point of view and the hardworking people(F-CPU developers)
will be missing a lot of their fairly earned joy.

That's our problem, I guess - not yours.

An example: Nowadays there are plenty of operating systems that
are much better and may be even faster on the old hardware than the
Windows 3.1 was, most of the people have never heared of them and
nobody pays any credibility or maney to the developers, because
the're 15 years too late. :)  I just wish that it'll not be the
case with the F-CPU.

Well, there's only one way to speed things up:

Get involved!

Michael.