Re: (FC-Devel) [Re: Concept Oriented Design ] + results of tool evaluation

Dr. Thomas Fricke wrote:

> Chen Ofek wrote:
> > I think we should develop a new design methodology.
>
> I think, if I do not confuse the terms, the methodology is already
> there. It would be really heavy to invent a new methodology. However,
> this looks very similar to the conceptual graph methods mentioned by
> Chen Ofek later :

I have only recently noticed conceptual graphs. I didn't see anybody using
itfor programming. can you give some links to the definition of conceptual
graphs and how
exctly people are using them in software design?

> I have some vague ideas of diagrams being containers of conceptual
> graphs.
> The only additional information in a diagram is about the graphical or
> viewing structure. Therefore, this information has to be separated
> strictly to allow different views on the same defining information.
> F.e. this way it should be even possible to have 3D diagrams.

I don't mean diagrams in the graphical sense but more as a model for
concept definition

> No some words on tooling: I have evaluated both Mico (v2.1.1) and Jacorb
> (0.9) as two candidates for free Corba ORBs in C++ and Java. Both are
> interoperating in a first example, both as clients and servers. I will
> post the examples very soon.

Why do you inssist on using CORBA? I think we should enable the user to
choose where he wants his concept repository to be. it can be CORBA or it
can be relational DB or even simple ascii files. I think we should start in
developing the most simple alternative (ascii files).

> So in a  first step we could define the interface of the repository,
> in my humble opinion it could look like
>
> collectionOfConceptualGraphs{
>         conceptualGraphs(class1, class2, role1, role2)
>
> }

In my humble opinion conceptual graphs should be talking about concepts. so
"class1","class2","role1","role2" are actuallyconcepts.
I would prefer something like:
CG {
    addConceptualConnection(Concept c1,Concept c2,Concept role1,Concept
role2)
}

This gives the possibility to use role1 as a concept in another connection
and creating complex design patterns.
For example:

   cg.addConceptualConnection(myModel,myView,Model,View)
   cg.addConceptualConnection(Model,usageCount,subClass,superClass)

> This  I could have in mind some coding examples, which may be helpful.

me too.

> If everybody agrees choosing the ORBs and a Java/C++/C mix, we can start
> with coding examples very soon.

I prefer C++.

chen