(FC-Devel) UXF & XMI, expectations

Hi Jason, hi all.

Jason wrote:
>  First, it looks pretty clear that XMI will be approved by OMG as the
> standard for UML model interchange. I have not seen any substancial
> support for any other format.

That is also my impression. FreeCASE will IMHO support XMI.
It's in the requirements (that is no garantee, though).

> From email exchanged with many Argo/UML
> users I have found that there are millions of features that they
> expect,...

Would you share (some of) those expected features with us, Jason?
That might help getting the requirements more specific.

Uche wrote:
> >UXF is basically a lightweight, XML-based format for describing UML
> >structures.  It covers class, collaboration and statechart diagrams.
> >The Web site is at http://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~suzuki/project/uxf/

> >I underscore the word "lightweight".  There are other related standards
> >(CDIF, XMI, RDF, etc.) going through standards bodies, but they are
> >largely huge, complex, and tied to other meta-data initiatives such
> >as MOF.

[Jason]
> ...Second, my impression of UXF is similiar to that of Uche's: it is
> much simpler than XMI.  However, XMI is not too hard to implement
> because it follows the standard UML meta-model very closely.  Once you
> figure out the basic structure of the XMI DTD, it should pretty
> familiar to anyone who has worked with the UML meta-model.

Does this mean that you think FreeCASE should support XMI
early on? If so, maybe you can update the reference app
accordingly? While you are at it could you contribute a
(running :-) java-specific one?

I may be asking much, I really don't know. If so,
forgive me. The simplicity of the UxF, like Uche stated:
> >UXF is meant to do one job (UML exchange), and do it well.
> >It is not meant to be a general meta-data repository exchange
> >format, so it's much smaller, cleaner, and you can understand it at
> >first glance.
is a point very much in it's favour.

{Jason]
> Also, I found that UXF organizes its structure around diagrams
> rather than meta-model packages, that is not a good match for a
> tool that allows the same object to be shown in multiple diagrams.

I noticed that.
For now it only means that with the UxF we can communicate
on a per-diagram basis (that is better than no communication at
all).
E.g. ObjectTeam or as it is now known Cool:Jex, a multi-user
UML-CASEtool locks on a per-diagram basis, so we're not even
to far off I guess.

Furthermore it does not seem unlikely that the UxF will evolve -
maybe even from within the FreeCASE community.

> I chose to use PGML to represent diagrams rather than XMI.

Why?

>   I am working on debugging my use of XMI and PGML now and I hope to
> release Argo/UML v0.6 with these features sometime next week.

Good luck!

> For more information, see:
> http://www.ibm.com/xmi/
> http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/features/xmi.html