RE: [w.formann@netsurf213.neuss.netsurf.de: Re: (FC-Devel) Is theproject still alive??? [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]]

Hi everyone!

> Chris Moore wrote:

> As for my concept of the repository, I'm using CORBA, so that is Jacques
thin
> client scenario.  My envisaged XMI tools look like they could satisfy part
of
> the fat client scenario ie. the package server part.  Not sure about the
version
> control part though.

Can I describe your approach like this:

- CORBA server (ORB);
- UNIX based;
- C++ as the programming language;
- On-line model sharing between the clients i.e. if one client change a part
of the model then all other clients will be notified immediately.

If so then a client modeling tool would have to change its model management
component to integrate into the repository (more work but not impossible in
the case of Argo anyway).

I have no prior experience with CORBA and C++ is a distant memory (had to do
management work for some years). Working on a JAVA IIOP client interface
would be interesting though espacially since the CORBA IDL physical
interface to the UML model is clearly defined in the OMG specs. The Java /
IIOP mapping also seems to be clearly defined by Sun. If thing go well that
could lead to an on-line "bridge" between the repository and Java modelling
tools (Argo and others).

Could that be of some interest to you?

On another subject would your repository be directly reachable (on-line)
only by a LAN or also by the Internet. On the latter case you may walk into
performance and access problems (ex. firewalls) that I would like to discuss
with you.

Thanks for taking the time to get me up to date on your project

Regards

Jacques