(FC-Devel) Re: Repository code available

> Hello!

Hi Alik,

> I've tried to use your repository in Java with JacORB. I have a problem
> compiling .idl files because of line
> ======
>   typedef any ValueType;
> ======
> in Reflective.idl. The word `valuetype` is reserved in CORBA.

The idl you are using is cut directly from the OMG specifications (v1.1).  I've
just had a look at v1.3 and it's in there too.

There is a bit in the spec for IDL itself (99-07-07.pdf section 3.2.3.1) that
deals with what to do when identifiers clash with new keywords.  They suggest
adding an underscore to the start of the identifier but there are implications
which I guess your orb has to honour.

If that doesn't work we'll have to consider a more radical rename.

Just had a search on the web and came across

http://ftp.omg.org/pub/issues/mof-rtf.open.html

Issue 2971 covers this problem and

http://ftp.omg.org/issues/issue2971.txt

discusses the possible solutions.  So hopefully this will be resolved in UML
v1.4.

> I'm may help you in development of this project. I'll be integrating it with
> my OpenUML case tool.

Great!  One volunteer etc.

> I think that it would be great to document .idl files
> first, and define some general concepts.

Thats what the UML v1.3 document on www.omg.org does. (99-06-08.pdf, 6MB, 808
pages.  Ah, I know it so well.)

If you want anything outside this spec than I'm afraid you're on your own.  I
need to focus on the repository or else progress will be spread even thiner than
it is now.  (Update to the v1.3 spec is coming along quite well at the moment.)

> Is there any public CVS opened for FreeCASE project?

Roger Dingledine (arma@mit.edu) handles our CVS admin.  Your UNIX knowledge may
need to be kung fu level though. You could always mail me PATCHes.  :0)