Re: (FC-Devel) Dia

> Has freecase looked at Dia for a tool? (
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/dia.html)
> >From the homepage:
> Welcome to Dia's homepage. Dia is a gtk+ based diagram creation
> program released under the GPL license.

Last I looked at it, it was pretty rough, but quite promising.

> Dia is designed to be much like the commercial Windows program
> 'Visio'. It can be used to draw different kind of diagrams. In this first
> version there is support for UML static structure diagrams (class
> diagrams) and Network diagrams. It can currently load and save
> diagrams to a custom fileformat and export to postscript.

The key is that it will have to export to a friendly format for abstract
models.

> This sounds like a good start on a diagram drawing front end.  Freecase maybe
> build the repository for the model, Argos & Freecase work on the controller, and
> this or Argos for the viewer.

I have always liked the GTK interface (although that's good down-payment for a
flame-war in some quarters), and supporting such alternative UIs is one reason
I think if Argo/UML really wants to merge, our first task as a joint project
should be to define the (to avoid MVC terminology) front-end to middle-tier
and back-end (repository) interfaces, and work towards a parallel version of
Argo that matches such an interface (parallel to avoid de-railing Argo's
current userbase).

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants