Re: (FC-Devel) Update

Hi, Jeff!  Hi, everybody!

JW> With all of this interest still abounding, I hope we can resurrect the
JW> project and keep it going.

I've just updated my pages at http://www.freecase.seul.org/~akhavr with
changes that should be there already few weeks ago.  Sorry for delay.

As I've received not much suggestions for Repository requirements, so I
consider them to be either appropriate for most or inappropriate at all.
Hoping for the better, I'd to proceed.

From the architectual viewpoint, the repository breaks nicely in tree
packages:
  a. the UML package, that provides the client functionality
  b. the persistence package, that stores the UML data in a storage
  c. the CM package, that deals with checkouts, updates, commits, etc.

I'd like to see model data to be stored in the sgml (or xml) files.  To do
that we need two things:
  (1) The program interface to the sgml data
  (2) The document type definition for UML model data

The obvious candidate for (1) is the Document Object Model (DOM)
http://www.w3.org/DOM

The second one is more difficult.  I've tried two DTD's that are available on
the web now:
  - he Normand Rivard's DTD, available at
    http://WWW.CAM.ORG/~nrivard/uml/umlxchng.html
  - the UXF project at http://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~suzuki/project/uxf/

IMO the UXF seems less appropriate for FreeCASE, since it deals mainly with
diagrams, not the program model.  I'm now using the dtd, written by
Normand, in my work, but, unfortunatelly,  it doesn't implements UML 1.1
fully.  The other possibility is to use some kind of 'meta'-format, like
CDIF.  If anyone knows the web-available dtd for such format, please
drop the url, so I can learn it. (Aha, CDIF put the xml DTD on the web)

Comments?

--
SY, Andrey V Khavryutchenko	http://www.kbi.kiev.ua/~akhavr

Shick's Law:
	There is no problem a good miracle can't solve.