[freehaven-dev] Re: universally verifiable secret sharing

Oh cool.

If only the public key is required to retreive data, can we do this :

After the pieces of the document are created and signed, the private key
can be destroyed. After the private key is destroyed, it seems difficult
to prove a node was the one which originally introduced a piece of data to
the network, even if that node is corrupted later. The downside is that
more shares cannot be signed after the private key is destroyed.

This would be useful in a situation in which there would be more
punishment for being the original author than for mere posession. Then
even if the adversary somehow has a "hunch" about the identity of the
author, he might find nothing on the author's HD to confirm his
suspicion. assuming the author gets rid of all records, anyway.

Another question :

the current proposal under Retrieving says that you
need to know the hash of the data segment in order to retrieve it.
Instead of needing to know both the public key and the hash, can
we fix it such that the string  "hash(data segment)" _is_ the public key?

Thanks much,
-David Molnar