[freehaven-dev] Symptomatic Filesystem (SFS)

This is something my roommate (Graydon Hoare - who's also working here)
wrote up...

I haven't read over the whole thing yet (too much other reading to do
first -- inundation time! -- but thought I might as well pass on.

http://www.interlog.com/~gray/SFS.html

reliability and security. It is not necessarily the fastest or most
easily administered filesystem (from the point of view of conventional,
centralized control of resources), but it may serve a useful role in
many wide area applications such as publishing, file sharing, archival,
and multi-user collaboration. I would like to see a sort of volunteer
"distributed.net of filesystems" arise from people's spare hard disk
space, for instance. Whether SFS scales down to the size of a single
workgroup or cluster remains to be seen in implementation.

--
"Not all those who wander are lost."      mfreed@zeroknowledge.com