[freehaven-dev] Chawathe et. al. SIGCOMM '03 paper

Hi,

I think this paper presents a number of techniques used to make the basic
Gnutella design much more scalable that may be applied to any peer-to-peer
system that performs a global search, such as the original Free Haven
design.  I found it to be a nice read, combining mostly standard systems
tricks to good effect.

http://www.research.att.com/~yatin/publications/refereed-papers-abstract-a.html

Making Gnutella-like P2P Systems Scalable
Yatin Chawathe, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Lee Breslau, Nick Lanham, and Scott Shenker

Napster pioneered the idea of peer-to-peer file sharing, and supported it
with a centralized file search facility. Subsequent P2P systems like
Gnutella adopted decentralized search algorithms. However, Gnutella's
notoriously poor scaling led some to propose distributed hash table
solutions to the wide-area file search problem. Contrary to that trend, we
advocate retaining Gnutella's simplicity %and ability to tolerate
transient peers while proposing new mechanisms that greatly improve its
scalability. To that end, we propose several modifications to Gnutella's
design that dynamically adapt the overlay topology and the search
algorithms in order to accommodate the natural heterogeneity present in
most peer-to-peer systems. We test our design through simulations and the
results show three to five orders of magnitude improvement in total system
capacity. We also report on a prototype implementation and its deployment
on a testbed.

-----
"Not all those who wander are lost."           www.michaelfreedman.org