[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [freehaven-dev] request for comments: P2P east submission
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I've been sitting on this for a week or two now. I wrote it but never
> sent it. Comments appreciated. Feel free to suggest other topics
> (ideally with an abstract ;) that we should include in the mail.
This talk may not be appropriate for P2P east, but it seems like it should
"Why and How To Run A Remailer - And What To Expect If You Do"
(not just a remailer, but any sort of anon service. Tarzan, freedom, a web
* what's an anon remailer, MIX, or proxy
* why they're good things
* why we need more of them running
* what remailers, proxies, MIXes exist as running code
- Web proxies
* what you need to run one
- a stable, reliable connection
- a really nice ISP
* how to announce your new remailer
- remops mailing list
* what to expect if you do run one
- abuse issues
- filtering issues
- legal issues (if we can figure out what they are
- maybe contact Harvey Silverglate's
law firm for help on this one?)
- DoS attacks on you and your ISP
- spambaiting, etc. - as in the Mazieres-Kaashoek paper.
The goal - give a realistic appraisal of what it takes to run a reliable
remailer and convince the audience to think about trying it. At the same
time, discourage people from doing it lightly - avoid one-week remailers.