Fwd: gEDA-user: Re: gEDA: New GTKWave snapshot 2002-03-25 Install trouble

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:26:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tony Bybell <bybell@rocketmail.com>
To: John Griessen <john_g@cibolo.com>

|I was able to install the GTKWave programs on a redhat 7.1 linux, but not on
|a conectiva linux.  ON conectiva, there is a 1.2.8 version of glib, which
| the configure script stops unable to find. part of:

<snipped>

...I don't subscribe to geda-user (plus I'm at work and have no way to send
email out on my spamcatcher account so here's a personal reply). Please
 forward it out to the list.

OK, it appears that the problem is that you have a conflict between the 1.2
 and 2.0 versions of glib/gtk/whatever.  Note that ordering in your
 /etc/ld.so.conf doesn't affect which glib-config program you pick
 up...you're probably going to have to move the 1.2 versions ahead of the 2.x
 ones in your shell path or at least edit the ./configure such that you
 explicitly point to the same version of glib-config and gtk-config.  (i.e.,
 they both return the SAME version.) It's quite possible that there's a
 screw-up with your install and you can't compile gtk programs on it.
 *shrugs*  I don't know; I've only used RH.  As a general rule, mixing and
 matching different *major* versions of
headers/libraries/etc is to be avoided.  I've always used the same
 glib/gdk/gtk versions w/o version skewing.

Connectiva's QA should be flogged for this one.  =)

Later,
Tony