Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Monday 04 April 2005 10:22, Charles Lepple wrote:
>On Apr 4, 2005 12:52 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> On Sunday 03 April 2005 22:35, Marvin Dickens wrote:
>> >On Sunday 03 April 2005 20:24, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>[...]
>> >
>> >Yes, it is. However, it doesn't work as advertised on most
>> > distro's.
>>
>> Oh?  It seems to be doing a crackerjack job of keeping my 'locate'
>> database in synch with reality here.
>
>It's not the sort of thing you'd want to rely on at build time. If
> you had a new system with no development packages installed, and
> you installed them all just minutes before compiling, the locate
> database would not contain those recently added libraries (unless
> you were burning the midnight oil, and happened to install the dev
> packages just before the database got reindexed).

Having been aware of that, the first thing I do is an updatedb if the
reported error doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.  It takes about
20 minutes on this box.  There have also been times when shell
history has torpedoed me, and I've had to exit that shell incarnation
totally and start a new one, at which point the path changes seem to
take effect.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)