Re: gEDA-user: Debian: missing system-commonrc and missing menus

> I see that some other people have had problems getting gEDA working
> from debian packages, but my problems seem a bit different, so here
> goes:
>
> I'm running an up-to-date debian testing system.  When I do the
> following:
>
> # apt-get install geda geda-doc geda-examples geda-gnetlist geda-gschem
> geda-gsymcheck geda-symbols geda-utils libgdgeda6 libgeda20
>
> (Just to make sure I get it all)
>
> % gschem
> gEDA/gschem version 20040111

FWIW, this is an old version of gEDA/gaf.  The current release is
20050313.

One solution is to download the CD and install from the .iso
distribution.  It is a source install, not an apt-get install, if that
concerns you.

> gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more
> details.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
> certain
> conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.
>
> Error : system-error [C:52 L:25] in /etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc
> Most recently read form: (#@load (#@string-append #@gedadatarc
> /system-commonrc))
> Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]

Somehow the apt-get installation didn't set up your configuration
correctly.  The env or scheme variable "gedadatarc" looks like it
wasn't set.  I have no idea why; I am not an apt-get kind of person.
You might want to try setting it in your enviornment or in the .scm
file  and trying again.

> Based on some other posts, I changed line number 26 of
> /etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc from:
>
> (load (string-append gedadatarc "/system-commonrc"))
>
> to:
>
> (load (string-append gedadatarc "/system-gafrc"))
>
> At this point, gschem no longer core dumps, but when I start it up, I
> have no menus, and I get a whole buch of:

system-gafrc wasn't introduced until recently.  Therefore, you should
change back to the first string (i.e. system-commonrc).

> Any tips?  Thanks,

I suggest you pull the plug on apt-get (at least for now) and try
installing from CD.  It gives you other stuff too, like ngspice, pcb,
and Ivarus Verilog.  Since it's a source install, build dependecies
adn configuration are taken care of using "configure && make && make
install", which is less prone to errors (IMHO).

Stuart