Re: gEDA-user: A couple o' questions

One thing I would recommend is "harshest or most on by default, let the user back it off." In other words, I think DRC should check everything but everything, and let the user know how to lower those.

In general, if you do it the other way, you get users that are happy about passing when its really not. It's much better to fail for valid reasons than pass for invalid reasons.

And the main point is this: We all know how general behavior goes. If a users DRC is failed, and he/she/it wants it to pass, they will ask/read/learn. On the other hand, if DRC happily passes due to disabled checks, he/she/it won't take the time to make sure that his passing grade is actually valid.

David Logan

It makes complete sense to you: it's your thing. It makes a great deal of sense to me too. But for a newbie, I think it just makes the job of getting a simple result more difficult. DRC is a power tool for experts doing big jobs (especially digital), not something of use for the simple but subtle projects newbies tend to start with.