Re: gEDA-user: Dead Copper

- Last, and clearly the most important, in this layout, the isolated rectangle of copper at the lower right is still considered to be electrically connected to the rest of the copper polygon. In other words this represents a situation where the tool might tell you that you have connected up everything but you might not have in reality.

Automated detection of islands is non-trivial. Detection of *unconnected* islands is harder still. Imagine a multilayer board with ground planes on several layers, and vias interconnecting the planes. I know of no simple algorithm to determine the connectivity of such a setup.

Several years ago I wrote a connection checker / copper removal tool for an in-house PCB tool, with sliver removal as one of the goals (source long gone, alas). IIRC I ended up rendering all layers to bitmaps with 1 mil resolution, and did a flood fill to find unconnected areas. I think I used the solder mask as a heuristic to tell SMD pads from dead copper. Processing a 3x4in 6-layer board would take about an hour, on a Pentium Pro/200 (but I believe the program was memory bound, not CPU bound). Still, you'd want to use this as a final check before sending a board to be fabbed, not as a real time DRC.

A tool like this is full of special cases. Without assistance the software can't tell heatsink areas, patch antenna resonators or microwave filters from dead copper.

JD 'Mr. Positivity' B.
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lartmaker.nl/