Re: gEDA-user: Isopropyl alcohol vs. ethanol

At 23:54 23-4-2006, you wrote:
On 4/23/06, Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Is it true that PCB's should be washed by isopropyl alcohol and not > ethanol because ethanol has small molecules that creep into the part > cases and wreak havoc >>there?

>I've never personally heard this, but it is feasible I suppose. Ethanol is only C2H3OH, which is a much smaller molecule than isopropanol.

Ethanol is CH3.CH2.OH . Iso-propanol is CH3.CH(OH).CH3, which is one CH3 group larger - not a vast difference. Both are much larger than water - HOH - and nobody seems to worry about water creeping into the parts, or a least not since they perfect the plastic package some thirty-odd years ago.

Iso-propanol is a less polar solvent than ethanol, and more effective at dissolving grease and oil, and it is somewhat less volatile, which means you can wipe it off the surface you are cleaning before it evaporates.

Denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol, plus additives that make it unpleasant to drink. In England it is called "methylated spirits" but methanol is rarely used these days - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirits

>>What's maximum safe time to leave a PCB inside the bath?

>I always spot-wash individual solder joints. I personally never bathe a whole PCB.

Me too - more because you seem to need to scrub the surface to get rid of the excess flux

>> Is it allowed to pour isopropyl alcohol into the sink? Is the same allowed with denatured ethanol?

>It depends on your locality, of course, but in the US, it is legal. Both are not only biodegradable, but also evaporate quickly (contrary to popular belief, ethanol [at least] >dissolves water, not the other way around, so after it evaporates, all that's left is water). You *probably* don't want to make a habit of it though, as I'm unaware of any long->term environmental effects. What follows is 100% pure hypothesis. Alcohol vapors in the sewer system may allow easier ignition of the methane gas (it's like adding fuel >additive to petrol), thus somewhat increasing the hazard of explosion. If vapors come into regular contact with PVC or other plastic pipes, it may also contribute to their >dissolving, thus prematurely aging the pipe, or causing leaks. -- Samuel A. Falvo II

Small quantities of ethanol and iso-propanol aren't going to damage the sewers or the sewage treatment plants - there is going to be ethanol and iso-propanol in waste water from time to time from natural fermentation. Nobody working on an industrial scale could get away with flushing either solvent into the sewers, nor should they, but hobbyists don't work with big enough volumes of solvent to produce detectable levels of contamination.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen