Re: gEDA-user: Isopropyl alcohol vs. ethanol

On Monday 24 April 2006 08:02, Marvin Dickens wrote:

> Those jobs that require a highly reactive flux, we use no-clean solder.
> These days, that would be repair work involving pin and hole. The
> residue is absolutely non-hydroscopic and it has been shown that
> statistically it does not promote the growth of tin whiskers (Or any
> other type of whisker...). You don't have to clean
> it - You leave it on.

But don't use no-clean solder on analog boards with high impedances.  We found
out the hard way that you will have to go back and clean off the no-clean
flux if you do.

We have also seen a drop in static operating current by switching to a
water-based flux.  I am now a big fan.

Regards,
Daniel