Re: gEDA-user: net labels question

al davis wrote:
> On Sunday 06 April 2008 09:36, gene wrote:
>> Is it ok to name a net "3.3VD", for example, using the "."?  I
>> haven't tried it yet, so was just looking for a quick answer to save
>> some time.
>
> It's better not to.  Even if gschem accepts it, sometimes the netlister
> doesn't map things like that properly, and sometimes target tools don't
> accept it.

I also try to use pretty simple names without any characters which might
be considered as 'special' by any tools I may run into.  gnetlist does
provide a facility for mapping gschem names into a possibly more
restrictive name space needed by particular target netlist formats.  So
in principle if the "." caused issues for some output netlist type, then
the gnetlist backend could be fixed up to avoid this.  The switcap and
pads backends use this capability and maybe some others do.  gnetlist
does check for shorts caused by renames.  In otherwords if you have a
backend that applies a toupper() (makes everything upper case) transform
it will detect if you had MySig and MYSIG which now get shorted and it
will complain.  So the biggest dangers are that

1)  you have more nets that have a different name in the output format
than in the schematic which may be confusing.

2)  you increase the probability that you'll have to rename a bunch of
nets later to avoid collisions

3)  the particular gnetlist backend in question doesn't properly
implement the net aliasing stuff.  This is not hard to retrofit into an
existing backend, but it may cause some delays.  I'm pretty certain that
more backends are missing this than include it.

-Dan