Re: gEDA-user: Very heavy symbols

Hi Carl,

On Donnerstag, 10. April 2008, Carl Denzen Van wrote:
> Thank you all for the tips! It is getting clearer for me.
> Werner wrote:
> "I'm using BCE as pinnumber attributes as long the footprint of the
> device (transistor) is not defined. Thus it's easy to replace them
> when adding a footprint."

This can be done with a database, or something like that.
In the spicelib http://www.h-renrew.de/h/misc/spicelib/doc/ draft the
heavy symbols are generated out of a library indexfile and a symbol
template (attached).

The values to replace in the template look like this:

[2PA1576Q_NXP00001]
symbol=pnp.sym
value=Q2PA1576Q
modelname=Q2PA1576Q
file=2PA1576Q.prm
refdes=Q?
pinseq_c=1
pinseq_b=2
pinseq_e=3
pinnr_c=C
pinnr_b=B
pinnr_e=E
footprint=none
documentation=http://www.nxp.com/acrobat/datasheets/2PA1576_5.pdf
description=PNP general-purpose transistor
test_refdes=Q1
model_status=good

The entry does not contain a footprint, as I've created it for spice
simulations.

> Advantage:
> -you have very little number of symbols, which are easier to maintain
> (compared to heavy symbols)
> Disadvantages:
> - the file definition changes (documentation must be updated)
> - gsch2pcb must understand the new file format
>
> Maybe I am not the first one to propose this idea, but I didn't find
> it anywhere yet.

No.

Regards
Werner