Re: gEDA-user: Converting RS274D to RS274X

On Sunday 13 April 2008, Jesse Gordon wrote:
>Ormund,
>
>If all else fails, and if you can find two documents describing in
>simple terms each of the formats, I'd be willing to try making a perl script
>to convert for you. But I'm pretty busy, so make sure there's not
>already such free solution :-)
>
>Also I would need a source RS274D to test  with. I'm assuming that once
>my converter is working, I'd be able to view the result in gerbv.
>
>-Jesse

A list lurker, speaking up as I run EMC2 on a tabletop mill here.

This seems like a neat idea Jesse, but can gerbv show 3D?  RS-274-D, from
NIST, as interpreted by late versions of EMC2, can describe 9 different
axis's & gerbv would seem to be at most a 2D display, possibly with tightly
spaced overlays that can be laid on or peeled off.

I'm currently setup to do 4 axis's, with the 4th being a "rotate the work
surface" using the X axis as the axle to turn on, although I can lay the
rotary table down and use it to present the end of the workpiece to the
cutter tool too.

I'd be interested in seeing such a 3+D display, although my well aged mind
cannot well grasp how it might be done, let alone suggest how to do it.

>Ormund Williams wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Dose anyone know of a utility to convert RS274D to RS274X?  I have a few
>> gerber files I want to view but they are in D format with the aperture
>> list in a human readable format.  I converted one manually a few years
>> ago now I wish I had taken the time to write a program then.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> __
>> Ormund

Cheers, Gene